Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CSA Recipe #3 - Rustic Tuscan Cannelloni Bean and Kale Soup!


Kale is the new "IT" food for smoothies and what not but I wanted to try something else.  So I found a recipe for Tuscan Soup and modified it a bit.  I do think I will make it again and add some garlic, but for now here it is.

I enjoyed this hearty soup - it was super filling and a lot of flavor.  Darren wasn't sure about it but said he didn't dislike it.  That is was something that he had never had before.  Growing up in an Italian household, these flavors were more up my alley and I am still on the "MORE GARLIC" subject with it around the house.

That said - it is a great weeknight meal - about 60minutes from fridge to table and served with a crusty Italian or Sourdough bread and a glass of Vini Verdi, a dry sparkling white wine, it was good!  

Since I have left over kale I may try it again with the extra garlic and will update if that does the trick!

INGREDIENTS
YUMMY Peaceful Pastures Bacon!
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 8 slices thick cut farm fresh bacon (I get mine in TN at Peaceful Pastures – grass fed, humanely raised etc.)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes (I used the ones with italian spices in there already), undrained
  • 2C organic chicken broth (I used Better than Bouillon organic)
  • 6 cups loosely packed chopped kale


INSTRUCTIONS
Simmerin' in the pot!
  1. In a dutoven (I used my ceramic coated cast iron pot), cook and stir bacon on medium heat until crisp. 
  2. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. 
  3. Discard all but 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings from pan. 
  4. Add onions to pan; cook and stir 5 min. or until crisp-tender. 
  5. Crumble the bacon and return bacon to pan along with the beans, tomatoes, broth and 1/4 cup of the remaining cheese; stir. Simmer on medium-low heat 20 min., stirring occasionally. 
  6. Add kale; cook 10 min.


Serve!

Serve with a crusty bread dipped in olive oil and YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment