Friday, April 12, 2013

CSA recipe #1 - Garlic Broccolini Pasta with Tomatoes - Clean Eating, gluten free, dairy free


When I picked up my first CSA box last Saturday the first thing I saw was the broccolini and I was like - I got this one!  I love Broccolini (aka Broccoli RabeRabe or baby broccoli).  It tastes like broccoli but not as strong and acts like asparagus when you cook it. 
Here is my broccolini after I trimmed it
Now the traditional route is to put it with sausage but I (a) wanted something different and (b) we didn't have any sausage.  So - I went with what I had - left over grilled chicken.  You can make this meat free if you are a veggie or vegan and it will still be awesome.  I also thought if you'd rather shrimp - that would be great too.  So here it goes:

2T Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic - sliced thin
2 medium tomatoes - diced
2C broccolini - washed and snipped to about 3-4inches from the tops
2t ghee (this is clarified butter for those of us who can't have dairy but if you can have dairy use 1T REAL butter)
1 boneless skinless chicken breast - grilled and diced (optional or can replace with shrimp)
1/4C white wine
1-2T lemon juice
1lb thin spaghetti (i used rice pasta - gluten free)
Here is were everything is cooking up!
1. heat oil in a saute pan and put in the garlic mash while sauteing - do not burn.
2. swirl in ghee (butter) until melted
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes
4. cook pasta as directed
5. add wine and lemon juice and simmer for 3-5 minutes
6. When you have 5mins left until your pasta is done - throw in the broccolini
7. Drain pasta when finished and then toss together with your saute.



OMG!  So yummy!  Darren isn't big on green veggies but went back twice - SO it had to be just as good as I thought it was. Add a glass of pinot grigio and a lovely summer meal.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment