Sunday, April 14, 2013

CSA recipe #2! - Kim's Famous Collard Greens!


Since I am a southern New Yorker, descended from Southern Italians but not a Southerner, I thought, I want to eat these collard greens I got in my first CSA box ever but had no idea at how to start or where.  

So I was at work and I hollered out, “Does anyone know what to do with collard greens?” in my office.  And got several, “I love those!” and then one lone voice from across the room, “I am famous for mine.  If you want, I can take them, make them and then bring them in for us all to try.”  I said SURE!  So long as I can take pictures and get your recipe for my blog.  Since Kim, my office mate and fellow foodie loves this kind of thing – she is my guest home chef recipe for this one.

Now I have had collards before and a lot of times they are very tangy or that je ne sais quoi that is just a little left of center of my taste buds.  HOWEVER, Kim's were AMAZING!  All of us lovely ladies at the office chowed down on some fabulous southern fare at lunch and I got Kim's recipe and am sharing it here with you.  I swear – if you didn't like collards before you will now!  Another plus - this recipe (when made with your right choices) is paleo friendly, gluten free and dairy free!

Here's what they look like alone
  • About 3 heads of collards
  • 4T – Vegetable Oil (I am thinking Olive would be good)
  • 6 slices bacon (real or turkey) or a whole ham hock
  • 4C warm water
  • ½t garlic salt (Kim says – don't get fancy and try fresh garlic b/c it won't taste the same)
  • 1t red pepper flakes
  • ½t ground black pepper

(NOTE: if you use real bacon you may want to half the amount of garlic salt) 



This was our lunch - grilled chicken, black-eyed peas &
Kim's Famous Collards!!  YUMMY SCRUMCIOUS!
Instructions:
  1. Soak the greens in a sink of cold water for a few minutes, to rinse off the dirt/debris.
  2. Place on dry towel and allow to air dry for about 15 minutes.
  3. Clean greens by removing the leaves from the ribbing, discard ribbing.
  4. In large pot, add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
  5. Render meat in oil until brown (turkey bacon/bacon should be diced, ham hock left whole.)
  6. Add 4 cups of warm water to pot and bring to boil.
  7. Add ½ of greens, tearing them in pieces as adding to pot.
  8. Sprinkle greens with garlic salt, red pepper flake and ground black pepper.
  9. Add the remainder of the greens.
  10. Sprinkle 2nd batch of greens with garlic salt, red pepper flake and ground black pepper.
  11. Make sure greens are covered with water, so add more if needed.
  12. After greens boil for 10 minutes, turn heat down to low boil or simmer.
  13. Cook for about 2 hours, stirring them occasionally.


ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment