Tuesday, May 14, 2013

CSA Recipe # 6 - Spiced Sweet Potato Cookies (Vegan and GF)


This is for all my new friends at the West End at Vine Farmer's Market that asked for the recipe so they could make their own.  If you'd like to save time and buy them, I will have them for sale at the Farmer's Market this coming Saturday by popular request!




I had some wicked GINORMOUS sweet taters in my first 2 CSA boxes.  I think I gave away four of them and still had a cool half dozen.  And what to do?  They are kind of a fall veggie and you can only eat so many oven fries or baked sweet potato…  So I looked around and found a recipe that I modified and VOILA sweet potato cookies! GLUTEN FREE!

And may I say, I love that I can cook and teach vocal lessons at the same time when it involves roasting things (i.e.: squashes and sweet potatoes) b/c they take about an hour and if I throw the squash or potato in at the beginning of a lesson it’s done by the time my student is ready to leave…but like last night, my one student kept asking, “What is that I smell?”  I say, “Sweet potato”.  And then they look longingly at my kitchen and say, “Oh I love sweet potato.  I am getting McDonalds on the way home…(sigh)”  I told her to drop by the Farmer’s Market Saturday if she wanted to try one of these cookies I was making with the sweet potatoes.
Anyway – here we go..
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Gluten Free Oat Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup (1 large) mashed Sweet Potato
  • 1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
  • 3/4 cup Light Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 1 ½ T coconut sugar
  • 1/4 C Agave Maple Syrup
 
To deal with your Sweet Potato:
Preheat the oven to 400.  Wash and clean your sweet potato(s).  Then poke it a bunch of times with a fork (just like you do with a regular potato.)  Then line a cookie sheet with foil, place the potato(s) on there and bake for 45-60mins – until you can easily piece the potato with a fork.  Once done, let cool for 30mins.  Then peel and mash.  I will do a couple potatoes at a time and then freeze the mash for later use.
 
For the cookies:
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or the bowl you will do the most work in) – mix together all dry ingredients.  In a 2nd bowl blend together the wet ingredients.  Add wet to dry and then blend on low with your electric stand mixer (or a handheld) for about 2-3minutes.  Make sure it is mixed well.
 
Then using a cookie scoop or 2 teaspoons drop batter on to parchment lined or well grease baking sheets or a cooking stone.  Bake for 20mins and check.  If still wet bake in 2 min intervals until done.  Cool on foil or bakers racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment