Sunday, June 3, 2012

Simple Fabulous Caprese Salad

Caprese Salad is one of my “go to” things that I make in a pinch because I always have a ball (yes a ball) of fresh mozzarella in the freezer, usually a basil plant in the the window (or the garden) and a few tomatoes in the drawer.  And what self respecting Italian doesn't have olive oil?!

Anyway, I remember my favorite Caprese story...  Once upon a time, we decided to have an impromptu gals night at my house after work.  So a few of the gals came over and a couple of them don't cook.  Well, I went into action, whipping up my salad and they saw me grab the basil plant out of the window box and start plucking leaves.  One of them says to the other, “Oh my goodness – she just grabbed that plant out of the window and is going to feed us leaves?!  What is that stuff?”  The other one looks at her and says, “It's Michele.  I don't know and I don't care because I know it will be good.”  

Well, they ate the heck out of it and I told them not to worry, I wasn't feeding them just a random window plant.  It was basil.

This recipe is easy and quick – just slicing, arranging in a nice pattern on the plate and drizzle some olive oil – SIMPLE FABULOUS easy no bake appetizer Italian style!!!

Caprese Salad

1 ball fresh mozzarella  - cut in half and then sliced
20 fresh basil leaves - washed
2 -4 plum (Roma) tomatoes – sliced
1t Italian Seasoning
2-3T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Looks super pretty on a pretty plate.


Alternate in a circle for a Christmas wreath look or in rows on a nice dish, the tomato, then a basil leaf, slice of mozzarella and repeat til it's all gone.  You can cover with plastic wrap if you are going to serve it later (up to 6hrs in the fridge).   When you're ready to serve it, sprinkle the Italian seasoning over it and then drizzle olive oil.  SIMPLE FABULOUS!

NOTE – for a great week night treat  get a Boboli or a Naan bread and just layer this on top and cook in the oven as directed.  Add some Sangiovese wine and SALUT!  A fabulous, fresh week night artisan pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment