Monday, May 7, 2012

Italian Turkey Meatballs

I loved going to my grandma's house - it always smelled like meatballs and gravy (tomato sauce).  It was my comfort food zone.  Now that I am trying to be a bit healthier full 80/20 ground beef is really not the best choice for me.  However, I can't give up my Italian heritage.  So what's a gal to do???  A healthy and still tasty swap! 


I came up with the below recipe.  The original calls for 80/20 ground beef, Progresso Italian bread crumbs and instead of baking - you would fry them in olive oil...  In case you wanted the original recipe.  The below is lower in fat all the way around as well as it is CLEAN - I found panko bread crumbs (of all places) at Big Lots that had only one ingredient - Panko Bread crumbs.  No preservatives.  Everything else - clean.  These little suckers taste great alone or soaked in tomato sauce.  I topped 1cup of polenta with them and cover them in sauce and mozzarella cheese - a great whole grain alternative to pasta.
Hope you love as much as I do!


Italian Turkey Meatballs
Ingredients:

  • 1-1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 3/4 C Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • One egg
  • Salt and pepper

Here's everything except the egg - I forgot to put it in but you do need one.
Directions:  Put everything in a bowl.  Then get to squishing everything together with your hands until its thoroughly combined. Then roll into 1-2inch balls and place on a non-stick or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  


Just like baking cookies - that easy!
Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes 
Serving Size: Makes 15 meatballs at 81cal per meatball.
Here is how they look when done - see nearly no fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment