Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Create your own Pumpkin Pie Spice & Chili mix! Just say no to MSG!

Hi all!  As many of you know from my facebook posts, I am not a big fan of GMO (stands for genetically modified foods) products, chemical preservatives or "taste enhancers" or processed foods in general.   I have over the last several months slowly been converting my pantry and food habits to a cleaner way of eating.

Two of my favorite "go to" spice mixes to use are Pumpkin Pie Spice and a Chili Mix packet.  I make a ton of breads, muffins, apples things using pumpkin pie spice.  And Fall wouldn't be Fall without chili!  But read the ingredients and you will find that there are some extra things in those little packets that have nothing to do with pumpkin pie spice or chili making....  Stuff that in parenthesis explains that it is an "anti caking agent" or MSG.  YUCK!

My friend Courtney shared with me some recipes for spice mixes so I could share with you. 

Pumpkin Pie Spice From My Baking Addiction.com:
(click the link to see more great recipes from this site!)


YIELD: about 5 tablespoons

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine spices in a small bow, mix well to combine. Store in a small jar or spice container.


Chili Mix from Courtney:
1 tablespoon paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano


Use this spice mix in place of a packet of chili mix per 1lb of ground meat (chicken, beef or turkey)

Thanks Courtney & Happy Fall cooking y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment